Friday, May 16, 2008

Tagged - part 6

Jobs I've Had

Growing up and this was before moving from Lima to Naperville, so before I was eight; people would ask, "So Marty, what do you want to be when you grow up?" And I replied, "I wanna be an alcoholic!" My best friend was Tom Schroeder and he wanted to be an alcoholic and so I had to be one too. I had no clue what an alcoholic was but it was what Tom wanted and so it was definitely for me.

[1] Model. So, I was living on the upper east side and doing my laundry one day at the laundromat. I met this girl who did advertising for Broadway shows. They desperately needed someone for a photo shoot and I didn't have a job. For 3 1/2 hours I jumped up playing air guitar; the next day my calves were so sore I couldn't walk up or down stairs...I lived in a 4th floor walk up.

[2] Accountant. Yeah, that exciting. I did travel to Latin America quite a bit for a while and I loved it. The people were great; I'm still in touch with a few of them. My boss joked that I had the longest title in the company: Manager of Budgeting and Finance, Controller for Latin America.

[3] Writer. I actually got paid to write something. I was so excited I didn't know if I should cash the check or frame it. The dream goes on…

[4] Waiter. I loved waiting tables when I was in college the first time. I worked in fine dining and adored the prestige of it all. (I tried again when I came to NY with no job – God didn't want me to wait tables any more.)

[5] ESL teacher. I really enjoyed teaching English as a second language. I met some wonderful people. Mostly in France and Brazil but casually when I lived in Spain.

So, this leads to who am I tagging. Seeing as I am yet to have 2 comments on my blogs, it seems like a way to see if people are even reading my blog. Of course, that's not fair; I'm a sporadic writer. Plus, I have so little time, I've not cruised too many sights of friends of friends. I'd tag Schwartzy but she got tagged by someone who got tagged by Kevin Bacon or something. So,

Jenn (aka Je Sais), come on down, you're the next contestant on this meme.
Coaster Punchman, come on down, you're the next contestant on this meme.
Jintrinsique, come on down, you're the next contestant on this meme.

5 comments:

jin said...

WOW!!!
Ummm... mine won't be nearly as jinteresting as yours was...
but I'll give it a shot!
Oh and Yay (!) you linked it to unplugged... so I can put it there and swear a lot.
;-)

Actually, I type swear a LOT more than in reality. But you wouldn't know about that yet would you mister?!

I am sooooo remembering your most recent comment offer.
;-)

Coaster Punchman said...

Mine is written and will be published in the next few weeks - I will be sure to give you props.

Holy smokes, I didn't know you were in the Full Monty ad! I think I've seen that ad. You're kind of famous!

jin said...

DONE!!!
;-)

JeSais said...

that was NOT the FULL monty!! :-) the covered up Monty...

and WOW you controlled Latin America... impressive.

Andrea said...

Wow, such an interesting grouping of jobs you have had.........gives you all sorts of dimensions...